Update FAQ/ Knowledge Base/ Tutorial Pages to pertain to post-Reforge OP

Meagoinc

25 Feb, 2014 08:41 PM

Hi! Travis19, I realize you're trying to hit every problem as it pops up, but I think it would be extremely useful (and also look good for OP) if the "Getting Started" portion of the Knowledge Base were updated to pertain to the Reforge site. Micah made those lovely videos in 2010, but we don't need new videos; even just screencaps with arrows drawn on them and step-by-step commentary typed below would suffice.

I personally was thrown for a loop in the most stupid way when I first encountered post-Reforge OP: I didn't realize you had to scroll down on the upload picture page to get to the sizing, positioning, and uploading boxes! I just kept clicking on the picture like an idiot not knowing why it wasn't going on the page (what a nincompoop, to not scroll). Having updated FAQ pages with screencaps (I don't think I expected the updated FAQ pages immediately post-Reforge, and so was nonplussed by their absence in October) would surely have mended my errors in less than the half-hour of on and off ridiculousness it took me to figure it out (what with Chrome's non-scroll-bars and all).

Though not all beginners will be nincompoops as I was, FAQs are for beginners and nincompoops alike, and if someone like me who'd been updating a mile-a-minute before the Reforge (and is again now) had stumbling blocks, then surely you'd want to make all of the nuances clear for the beginners who you hope to attract to the site. Something as simple as an updated FAQ would help immensely, especially for things like changing colors, dealing with the settings page, and particularly for describing all of the features which NON-Ascendant and NON-CSS users can and should use.

Thank you for your time,
Meagoinc.

1. 1 Posted by killervp on 26 Feb, 2014 04:40 AM

I agree- this would really help everyone, and cut down on your own workload!

2. 2 Posted by Basileus on 26 Feb, 2014 08:45 PM

Hypothetical question: if a member or group of members took it upon themselves to make some tutorials and/or video introductions like the old ones but with updated information for post-Reforge, would OP put them up in place of or alongside the old info?

I think there might be some folks around who are willing and able, and this is one of those things that the community could help out with, but they'd probably want to know that it would do some good before making the material.

3. 3 Posted by schiann on 26 Feb, 2014 08:50 PM

I think I'm done with OP now that my Custom CSS isn't working anymore, but if I were to stick around I'd want to see up-to-date how-to tutorials, an up-to-date FAQ, and just a single knowledge base/resource center with links to how-tos, tips, and workarounds for specific topics/problems.

4. 4 Posted by Travis19 on 26 Feb, 2014 09:29 PM

Hello everyone, I could have sworn I responded to this last night but I must not have hit send... embarassing....

Anyway, new/updated tutorials is on my list of action items hopefully starting next week. If anybody wants to contribute I'd be happy for the assistance (although yes, I'll need to verify it, edit it, reserve the right to determine we can't use it, etc.)

Schiann -- when did your custom CSS stop working? Did I miss a ticket?

5. 5 Posted by Basileus on 29 Apr, 2014 03:35 AM

I swear I intend to get around to making some updated training material. I've planned some of it out but work keeps getting in the way. LOL

6. 6 Posted by Travis19 on 07 May, 2014 01:56 AM

Still in the works. Thanks for the reminder.

7. Travis19 closed this discussion on 16 Jun, 2015 12:23 AM.

8. killervp re-opened this discussion on 16 Jun, 2015 06:21 PM

9. 7 Posted by killervp on 16 Jun, 2015 06:21 PM

Please don't close things that are not resolved.

10. 8 Posted by Meagoinc on 16 Jun, 2015 06:55 PM

Thank you KillerVP for catching this! Travis, my hopes were briefly lifted that you closed it because changes were made, but I see that all of the entries on the Knowledge Base pertaining to wikis are still dated as updated, at the latest, around April 2011. I echo KillerVP in saying please don't call things "resolved" when they aren't because-- perhaps, I dread?- the complainant has remained quiet for a while. If this new company wishes to attract new blood to replace (and add on to) the ones who have grown weary, surely an up-to-date-FAQ which pertains to the *much* altered site should be on their list of things to-do.

Though it may yet be *another* year before this is tended to (which would be bad for newcomers), I look forward to seeing this taken care of, however long it takes. Thank you.

11. 9 Posted by Abersade on 31 Jul, 2015 04:59 PM

They have created a Youtube channel with a few updated videos.
    It's something anyways: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpe0g9SHUorIfCtpucv99MA

12. 10 Posted by alex_redeye on 22 Aug, 2015 12:25 AM

Yep, and more stuff in the planning phase, but I will keep note of this posting.

13. 11 Posted by killervp on 28 Dec, 2015 05:10 AM

No response for over 4 months.

14. Support Staff 12 Posted by OPSupport3 on 02 Jan, 2016 04:46 PM

There's a fair amount of development work with the kickstarter features and pre-/post-KS fixes, so I am planning for a series of tutorials, tutorial vids, once the dust settles a little.

A more realistic timeframe is about Feb/Mar 2016, though if we may trickle in a few before then.

15. 13 Posted by schiann on 23 Jan, 2016 07:10 AM

Was there another Kickstarter? Or are the Kickstarter features from 2013 *still* not done? (I mean, I know my fave features from Classic OP still haven't been reinstated, but are all the features I didn't give a crap about that were promised in the Kickstarter still not done?!)

In other news, I am still here because it's too much work to prep a game *and* build a custom Wiki. I'm just not putting effort into custom CSS or anything else fancy. Sigh.

16. OPSupport closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2016 08:02 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Obsidian Portal please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac