Character gender

raggedhalo

17 Feb, 2016 10:02 AM

I'm aware of the gender radio issue and I appreciate you lending your voices to the issue. I will reach out to support in favor removing the male pre-selection and no longer requiring a gender for characters. This fix will most likely be later in the year as we work on kick starter goals and critical issues.

1. 1 Posted by blackwingedheav... on 17 Feb, 2016 02:47 PM

I too would appreciate one or more "other" options for the Gender section. Beyond being limited and exclusionary in real world terms, a lot of us are running campaigns where hiding someone's gender in their writeup would be important.

2. 2 Posted by AaSampson on 17 Feb, 2016 05:29 PM

Hi OP community. I'm aware of the gender radio issue and I appreciate you lending your voices to the issue. I've reached out to support in favor removing the male pre-selection and no longer requiring a gender for characters. Please reach out to me with the any idea or questions you may have regarding this plan of action.

3. 3 Posted by c_t on 10 Mar, 2016 09:25 PM

@AaSampson, I'd favor removing the Gender field in the short term:

• It doesn't seem to have a purpose
      • it only shows up in the <character>/edit page
      • it doesn't appear to affect anything
    • It is broken and doesn't save its state.
      • ex: it only displays "male," even if I select "female" and save.
    • In 2016, a Gender field that only has two options and defaults to "male" is more likely to be a detraction than a value-add.
  4. 4 Posted by weasel0 on 11 Mar, 2016 04:06 AM

For people who use the option for what's available, it's used for the random name generator.

5. 5 Posted by c_t on 11 Mar, 2016 10:34 PM

Ohhhh... that makes sense, although it isn't very intuitive.

Perhaps all that is needed is a UI tweak to make the purpose (and limited scope) of the option more obvious.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Obsidian Portal please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac