FTP access

GrandVizier

02 Feb, 2016 04:56 PM

Hi All
I'm having a friend of mine look at my Obisidan campaign with the goal of customizing it with CSS tweaks.
He poked around and has asked me, how can he gain FTP access so that he can do his CSS tweaks?
Does anyone know?
thanks,
Scott

1. 1 Posted by AaSampson on 02 Feb, 2016 08:09 PM

No FTP or anything like that required. If you're a subscriber(Ascendant member), you can go to a campaign, click on Settings, pick the Advanced tab at the top, and there's a field where you can paste in your CSS.

2. 2 Posted by GrandVizier on 02 Feb, 2016 08:56 PM

Thank you very much!

Scott LaGreca

3. 3 Posted by AaSampson on 02 Feb, 2016 10:31 PM

Happy to help. Reach out anytime if you need any help.

4. AaSampson closed this discussion on 02 Feb, 2016 10:31 PM.

5. GrandVizier re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2016 03:45 PM

6. 4 Posted by GrandVizier on 05 Feb, 2016 03:45 PM

Hello! Greetings!
    Any progress on my inquiry?
    I was just wondering how my web-designer-friend can use FTP to tweak my
    Obsidian campaign "Giantslayers".

Also, are you guys awarding things like "best campaign of the year"
    anymore? The most recent award for a campaign I saw was about a year ago.
    Didn't know if you'd stopped doing awards or not.

Thanks again & have a good weekend,

Scott

7. 5 Posted by schiann on 05 Feb, 2016 08:27 PM

Hola GrandVizier,

The nice way is to say FTP is not required. The more indelicate way is to say FTP is not an option.

As Aaron said, assuming you've paid for Ascendant membership, you (the GM) can log in to the campaign and click Settings on the left, then click the Advanced tab at the top, and scroll down to the big Custom CSS text box. (See attached screenshots.) Paste in the CSS, and don't forget to click the Save button at the bottom.

Custom CSS is an Ascendant feature, so if you're using the Basic (free) version of OP, you'll need to subscribe in order to use custom CSS. Only the GM needs to pay for Ascendant membership. Only the GM (and maybe the co-GM - I don't know for sure) can access the campaign Settings. Within the campaign Settings, there's also the Style tab at the top, which will allow your friend to easily tweak the look of the campaign (some elements are Ascendant-only).

Above the Custom CSS text box on your Advanced Settings tab, there's tiny text with a link to the OP CSS Guide:
    http://help.obsidianportal.com/kb/advanced/custom-css-for-your-camp...
    Unfortunately that guide is from 2012, before OP was "Reforged" (redesigned, redeveloped). There have been issues with CSS since the Reforge. Some have been resolved, but some may linger. Future fixes might break CSS that works today.

I recommend your Web designer friend do as much as possible with the Style tab and keep things simple in the Custom CSS. If he writes a whole CSS Zen Garden style sheet, it's unlikely to work, and then he'll be bummed out and frustrated.

I have no idea what's happening with the COTM/COTY stuff. Anybody?

8. 6 Posted by schiann on 05 Feb, 2016 08:34 PM

Forgot to attach the screenshots ...

9. 7 Posted by AaSampson on 06 Feb, 2016 03:07 AM

@Schiann Great help . Thank you for you help.

@GrandVizier Yes we have restared the COTM and COTY please tune in to the blog below and our social media presence for more details.

http://blog.obsidianportal.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/obsidianportal/https://twitter.com/obsidia...?
    https://twitter.com/obsidianportal

Reach out anytime for any issues.

10. 8 Posted by GrandVizier on 06 Feb, 2016 12:07 PM

Thank you both so much... I really appreciate this.
    Yes I upgraded to Ascendant in December (and very pleased with all the benefits of that), so I (as GM of this campaign) can access the Custom CSS options.

Those links will be useful, I'll check them out, wasn't aware of them before.

I'll let my web designer friend in on this, and I'll see what he can do.

Hey here's another question: can I add music to my campaign? Or does Obisidan Portal not allow that (= too annoying?)

Thanks again, you guys are great!

11. 9 Posted by schiann on 06 Feb, 2016 03:09 PM

AFAIK, there's no way to add auto-play music to an OP campaign. Too annoying! I know one of those remote-tabletop-RPG video-conferencing sites has a "jukebox" feature, but OP is more tailored to face-to-face and play-by-post RPGs, not live remote play, so no jukebox.

You are supposed to be able to embed videos from YouTube and Vimeo and audio from Soundcloud, but those features have been broken for a while. How that's supposed to work is you click the "Share" button on YouTube etc. to grab the URL to the video/audio, click the "Media Embed" button to the right of any big text box on OP, paste in your URL, and click the "Insert" button to embed a video or audio player that your players can click to play. But for right now, it will just create a video- or audio-player sized blank space on your page.

When you look at Soundcloud or YouTube, you may wonder, "What about this 'Embed' link?" Well, that, my friend, is an iFrame link, and iFrame isn't supported on OP. Sorry.

Your best bet for now is to simply create a hypertext link to your music. Write a text link like "Royal Fanfare." Then click-and-drag to highlight that text, and click the silver chain links icon at the top of the text box (next to the blue-shirted quote bubble person). Paste in your URL, and click "OK" to create the link.

12. 10 Posted by GrandVizier on 07 Feb, 2016 04:39 PM

Thanks. I have forwarded this to my designer friend!
    Great ideas. Although sorry to hear the iFrame links aren't supported. Too bad.
    Scott

13. 11 Posted by AaSampson on 19 Feb, 2016 12:24 AM

Closing to the resolution above. Please reopen if their are any further questions.

14. AaSampson closed this discussion on 19 Feb, 2016 12:24 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Obsidian Portal please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac