New edit function breaks everything

ransomp666

06 Apr, 2016 01:24 PM

Editing an adventure log post with the new edit functionality turns the post into a wall of text, removing all paragraph breaks.

Once saved, the edited post ignores all textile tags and css. Some portions of the post text, although present in the editor, are not displayed at all.

For example, the following post has been edited and saved in the new editor: https://wilderlands-age-of-worms.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/session-29-the-library-of-last-resort

It used to look more like this post, which has been untouched by the new editor: https://wilderlands-age-of-worms.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/session-28-the-library-of-last-resort

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. Support Staff 61 Posted by OPSupport on 08 Apr, 2016 12:37 AM

Thank you for your understanding. Transitions are always difficult. In this instance the developer was transitioned over 23 branches with little in the way of docs or automated tests. The engineering team is working very hard to stabilize the current code base and take OP to the next level. Thank you.

OP Support

2. 62 Posted by weasel0 on 08 Apr, 2016 12:53 AM

I'm sure myself and KillerVP(as he already pointed out) would like to take this moment to point to the suggestion we had of a Beta area(and there was one before the Reforge code was implemented) to try and kill some of these show stoppers BEFORE they went live and made your user base .... emotional.

3. Support Staff 63 Posted by OPSupport on 08 Apr, 2016 01:19 AM

OP currently does not have a dedicated beta environment. It does however have an internal test environment to which builds are regularly pushed out to. During specific time frames those 'beta' builds are staged and made available for manual user acceptance testing. If you are interested in enlisting, I would encourage you to subscribe to the release mail alias so you can receive those communications. I can forward a request to the team to do that.

OP Support

4. 64 Posted by Ganny on 08 Apr, 2016 01:23 AM

I wouldn't mind doing that. As it stands, I wish your engineering team good luck. I read what happened and I had to stop myself from running in horror.

5. OPSupport closed this discussion on 08 Apr, 2016 03:31 AM.

6. weasel0 re-opened this discussion on 08 Apr, 2016 07:33 PM

7. 65 Posted by weasel0 on 08 Apr, 2016 07:33 PM

Obviously while having causation, Kaleidoscope(whatev) sees that removal of the broken editor solves the problem of broken editor.

Pages FUBARed by said editor are a completely different matter all together.
    No warranty on use of editor, just the editor.

8. 66 Posted by barrelv on 08 Apr, 2016 08:06 PM

I had to go back and fix the pages that the new editor messed up. There isn't really anything that OP can do to resolve that part.

You could use the Previous Versions screen to get some ideas how to fix it maybe? For me, it was deleting some extra spaces and removing some paragraph tags.

9. 67 Posted by Lazarus1219 on 08 Apr, 2016 08:12 PM

Yeah I would expect that any pages that had previously been messed up by the editor will have to be manually-readjusted. Folks who are not Ascended members don't have access to the 'Previous Versions' screen and won't be able to use that either.

10. 68 Posted by barrelv on 08 Apr, 2016 08:15 PM

Did not realize that - sorry to rub salt in the wound for the non-Ascendant members

11. 69 Posted by Lazarus1219 on 08 Apr, 2016 08:16 PM

No worries :) I knew what I was giving up when I cancelled my membership.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Obsidian Portal please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac